Table of Contents
How to: Configure CNAME records for Network Solutions
What is a CNAME record?
A CNAME is a kind of DNS record that simply tells Network Solutions to map a custom domain or sub-domain to another website.
This way when a visitor goes to the custom domain, Network Solutions will take them to the website you specified.
Why do you need a CNAME record?
By creating a CNAME record, you will connect your custom domain or sub-domain from Network Solutions to another service (for example, your site that is hosted on Cloakist).
You only need to make this connection once, then it will be set up for the lifetime of your website.
Step 1: Log In to Network Solutions
Log in to your Network Solutions dashboard: Network Solutions Login
You will see many options here, but you only need to focus on creating new DNS records.
Step 2: Add CNAME Records for Network Solutions
Network Solutions provides an extensive guideline for creating new CNAME records.
Step 3: Wait
Once you added the new CNAME records, Network Solutions will take a few minutes to make these settings available to all regions globally. This is called DNS propagation.
Network Solutions can take up to 24 hours to propagate the CNAME records, but it usually only takes a few minutes.
(if you wait for more than an hour for your CNAME records to be connected, please contact Cloakist support and we will help you get set up)
How we use CNAME records at Cloakist
- When you create a new site with Cloakist you need to connect your custom Network Solutions domain or sub-domain.
- This tells Network Solutions that any visitor that goes to your specified domain will be directed to the Cloakist service.
- The service you choose to use can be any of our supported platforms.
- When creating your site on Cloakist, we will monitor your Network Solutions setup and make sure the connection is working.
- As soon as we can see the Network Solutions CNAME records are connected, you will receive an email to notify you that your new site is live!